Saturday, January 30, 2010

Just a few ramblings

Our house is back to its quiet little normal state. It's nice. Just Rob and I. (I was going to say "me and rob", but thought my mother would tell me off for improper grammar).
Hospital appointment letters have been the main source of mail for the last few days. It really is quite weird having my name on an appointment letter. I'm quite used to seeing other people walk around with them (hopefully I won't look quite as lost as they will when I go from appointment to appointment, seeing as after 5 years I really should know my way around Auckland Hospital...)
Next week is filling up with places to be and people to see, mostly during the day time, which is lucky, because by the time it gets to 4 or 5 O'Clock I am feeling pretty tired. I'm not sure if that is the muggy weather, the emotional exhaustion, a physical thing, or if it's kinda in my head a bit. What I mean is that up until I got admitted to hospital I was getting up, going to work, coming home, studying the night away, still catching up with friends, and I don't remember feeling this tired.
It's the same with feeling sore. I was feeling sore before the diagnosis, probably more sore than I am now, but now I know why, it bothers me more. Nothing that a few panadol can't fix by the way, but it still bothers me more.
But onto nicer subjects.

We went to Mangawhai yesterday to see some friends. Matt and Rach have an awesome beach house with fabulous views right out over the sea. We all just sat around watching the sea, drinking Moot. What is Moot? Moot is a term given to anything liquid (but not milk) that was coined by a now 18 month toddler. His parents have encouraged the use of the word, so I figure, why not. The sea is Moot, water is Moot, beer is Moot, paddling pool is Moot (Just not milk).
I managed to drive most of the way up to Managwhai, but about 1/2 hour from actually getting there decided that I could no longer put up with Robs sighs and glances at the speedo as I stuck to the speed limit. Time to let him take over.

Last week a friend of Robs mentioned that he might be able to get me a ride in a V8 around Hampton Downs racetrack. So this morning we jumped in the car and headed down. Rob may have got a bit carried away with the thought of racing, and may have broken the speed limit a little, which may have been in front of a speed camera (Read: I took too long getting ready, Rob was trying to get us there on time, and we may have another piece of mail coming from the traffic department in the next week or two).
We watched a few of the warm up laps and before you know it, it was my turn. I got to go in a race with a guy called Mike aka the mexican (although I'm not convinced that he was mexican at all......)
So I'm strapped into my 4 point harness, know where the fire extinguisher is, helmet on, ready to go. We made it to the first corner before there was a red flag. So back to the start again, someone had started a bit too early... So I got the chance for another starting flag and another high speed start. Because it was raining a bit Mike said it wasn't quite as fast as it would normally be. I'm pretty damn sure it was fast enough for me though! As we came up through one of the tight corners into a straight the back wheels spun, then so did we! We came inches (and I don't mean too many of them) from the concrete wall! Apparently Mike had his fingers crossed at that point too! It was exhilarating, and for 15 minutes I totally forgot that I am apparently sick.
Another day, another bit closer to this thing being finished and us being well and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment